Saturday, August 24, 2013

Who put the fun in fundraising??

I believe I have an estimated $1,900 left to raise before I leave for Nepal on September 14th. I greatly underestimated the amount of time, work and extreme stress this ordeal would cost me. Fundraising is hard. Duh. Yet, I thought it would be a breeze, perhaps because I was told every volunteer (almost) always raises all the money needed and I didn't really need to worry too much. Either way, I am eternally indebted and at a loss of words to fully express my gratitude to the people in my life donating and following my travels. I find myself walking around with a smile and I am filled with appreciation and awe. 

Recently a few people interested in volunteering with ARP next year have asked for advice on fundraising. While I do not consider myself an expert at this and I question whether I will raise all the funds necessary; I can share what I've learned over the last few months. 

First of all, I annoyingly posted an endless amount of links on Facebook, probably to the vexation of my FB friends. Upon initial posting the money came rolling in! This was a deceiving occurrence, eventually most people donated and there were several weeks of stagnation. Nothing happened and I realized I had to work way harder. Now, I'd like to think that if I wasn't a full time student, taking board exams and struggling with 12-hour class/clinic days, that this might not have been so laborious, but I doubt it. The stress with school combined with the self-created stress of worrying about fundraising really put a damper on life. Every experience was a new opportunity to ask people for money, but I didn't. I created a motivational song to help myself- to the annoying tune of "Call Me Maybe" (Hey, I just met you and this is crazy, but here's my number, donate? Maybe?) No, I never actually sang it aloud and would berate myself when I felt I missed an opportunity to ask for money. 

I grew up in the south, where social formalities are widely followed. You don't talk about money, politics or religion. Therefore, asking new acquaintances for money? Way too taboo. Additionally, I'm not a schmoozer, you know, the type that seem to instantly build a rapport at initial meetings. My friend Katherine once said, in an attempt to explain my personality to someone I had not met, "Terry's great, she'll insult you within the first five minutes of meeting her, but you end up loving her!" Not everyone would find this endearing, but I do because it's true. 

I also heard tales of others holding grudges against those friends and family members opting not to donate. This could be a huge downfall and an unnecessary burden. I'll admit I was disappointed when people I thought would contribute did not, but the overwhelming number of people that did donate erased all unsupported feelings. I do not have the space to hold resentments and I am sure those who did not donate have their reasons and it's not up to me to judge. Instead I hold great admiration and love for each person contributing- from those donating $5 to $500. 

For many weeks I was stuck in a terrible state of uncertainty on what would be the most cost effective was to raise money. I didn't want to throw a party, which I think would have cost too much of my own money. Not to mention the embarrassment if no one showed up! Furthermore, I am not from Portland, so I don't have the established networking base. My friends are sprawled across the country and the people I do know in town are students, like me. We don't have any money. 

My saving grace was a gift card donated from Le Pigeon. My partner is one of the sous chefs there, so I had an in. Not to mention the restaurant maintains an outstanding reputation in town and has some of the best food I've ever tasted. When I received the gift card I figured I better do a raffle, but I needed more stuff to give away. 

I consider myself rather shy with people I don't know. After the first time I met my partners parents, his mother described me as quiet, to which my partner said- "are you sure you met Terry?" Needless to say, I take a minute to warm up to people, after which I guess you can't get me to shut up. The task of going places, explaining what I needed and waiting for a response terrified me to the point of insomnia. I chose places I would like gifts from and ventured out to ask for contributions. To my surprise, places were extremely nice about it. Some handed me a gift card on the spot, others gave me business cards to the marketing departments. The best and most surprising came from those around me. Being in acupuncture school linked me to acupuncturists, massage therapists and even a chiropractor. Each willing to donate a treatment! 

The last bit was finding people to buy the raffle tickets. Campus was the perfect place. I avoided asking people at school for donations directly to the ARP because I figured they were in the same boat as me. Penniless. But the raffle tickets took off! 

I also included a pre-stamped envelope and a note about the ARP with my graduation announcements. At this moment I can report I have only received one of those envelopes back, but I compulsively check the mail daily. Lastly, my parents and friends have helped tremendously. My dad tells everyone he works with and my friends post on Facebook and share emails. 

These are just the bits I've done and I'm sure the other volunteers have equally helpful tidbits and stories. I hope those considering volunteering are not deterred by fundraising. It's a challenge and not always fun, but I absolutely love the feeling I have when I see new donations or tell people about this organization. This feeling outweighs all the stress and anxiety associated with asking for money. It's profound, warm-and-fuzzy like a hug, it's a feeling of being loved.  

If you would like to donate to the Acupuncture Relief Project: HERE

OR you can mail a check to: 
Acupuncture Relief Project
C/O Terry Atchley
925 NW Hoyt St #523
Portland, OR 97209


No comments:

Post a Comment